Saturday 28 July 2012

Lady Sings The Blues. . . . . . . . . .

I'm hoping to get this challenge posted on time . . . . . . . . too much watching the Olympics I fear!!

The challenge at Make My Monday continues with the colour wheel and this week we are asked to use analogous colours: Light blue, Turquoise and Dark Blue.

I decided that I had to use my usual inky background technique and some new Indigo Blu stamps I had. The card is also being used for a friends birthday so I've kept it rather more traditional than perhaps I would usually. . . . .

I'd also like to show this card at Sunday Stampers where the challenge is 'Words' and Simon Says Stamp and Show where the challenge is 'Hey Girl' - really wanted to do something frilly and pink but never got round to it and perhaps that's not my style. . . . . . . . !

Here's the card I made:

The completed card. The main image and sentiment are layered onto coloured, textured card and then finally onto some sheet music - charity shop buy! - with the edges inked.
The blue background contains all the required blue tones but you need to look carefully to see them! The card was stamped with the main image and then inked and stamped using distress inks and the following stamps: crackle, script, flourish and music.


In this image you can see the distress inks in various shades but also visible is some light blue chalky ink which was used to stamp script. I love the effect these chalky inks give on top of distress. The sentiment looks smudged but if you have this stamp you will know that this is how it is! The sentiment layer has two eyelets and some lovely jute thread tied in a small bow. In the following image you can see the crackle stamp which was done in a distress ink turquoise equivalent:



Thanks for looking at this post and thank you to all those people who regularly visit my blog and to my new followers who are saying some lovely things about my work - I really do appreciate it.

22 comments:

  1. Your card is very pretty! I love the blue tones and the way you have blended them so beautifully. The music paper in the background is perfect for your sentiment. I also love the sentiment...isn't it the truth? Your matted image of the Victorian lady in the center of your card really is striking. Now, you've got your girly card posted in plenty of time! Go watch some more Olympics! Thanks for sharing your card with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is lovely I love all the shades of blue. Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog.They are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice card with beautifull colors

    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, I LOVE that sentiment, tis so true! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday sTamper x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...stunning ink work Julia, your blending is superb, & a fabby imagine...gorgeous colours to play with for this theme too...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Julia! Love the background and the light effect in the middle...lovely stamping and the blue colors are great together.

    have a nice Sunday and lots of Olympic pleasure!

    Greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A splendid card, I love the stamping and your use of the colours required for the colour challenge. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Make My Monday. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving your blending - and how you've so perfectly accented your lady! I could keep looking at this over and over. Such a lovely piece! Thank you for sharing with us and joining in this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Fabulous image and gorgeous coloring! Thanks for joining us at MMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful as ever Julia. Loving the layered inkiness/stamping on the edges and your focal image is divine. Good luck with the challenges and enjoy the olympics. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card. I love the blending of all those beautiful blues ... love the sentiment, too. I think music is strongly linked to feelings, if it's classic, hardrock, punk, or whatever :-)
    Had to smile because I recently discovered Billie Holiday and bought some music and a biography of her, but didn't get around to reading it yet.
    Have a great Sunday, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful, love the colours and style! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous Julia! The image is beautiful and your inking looks stunning. Glad you managed to join in at MMM too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous I agree with all the other comments above ... a super romantic, atmospheric card.
    Thank you for joining us at MMM
    suzi b :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - this is so pretty and romantic - and the sentiment is wonderful. Thanks so much for joining us at MMM.
    Hugs
    Valxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely card Julia, the colouring is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card.. love your inking just perfect..a lovely romantic feel to it.. great stamps..Brillant design & colours.. Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Julia,

    for demonstrating the use of chalky ink in such a perfection! It gives tenderness of texture to your design and creates a kind of "floating" layer. So gorgeous! Love it!

    Thanks for your nice visit and the holiday-wishes!

    Hugs,

    die amelie xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. As always Julia, this is really gorgeous! Such deep colours and so many lovely details. I'm sure your friend will love it! M x

    ReplyDelete
  20. His is a beautiful piece , lve the blue colours you have used, a fab inky creation! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a music lover...mostly all types, and this sentiment is so true! I love your design...the color, the frame, the stamping, the main image...all fantastic!!!! Fab work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax