Monday 29 October 2012

French Romance At Make My Monday

The challenge today at Make My Monday continues in France and the theme is Romance. For my final Guest DT piece I chose a beautiful vintage image from the internet and used TAP to put it onto some fabric for that aged and textural look which I love so much.

It has been a pleasure to work with the ladies at Make My Monday and a number of them have visited me for the last four weeks and offered their encouragement - thank you so much ladies!

Here's my card and I hope you like it:

The completed card with an aged, somewhat vintage feel (I hope!).
The frame was die cut from grunge board (covered with Crafty Individuals paper) as a label and an aperture was cut to take the image. The frame was embossed in a Tim folder, inked and gold paste was applied to the edges. 
For the flower, card was coloured with distress ink and sprayed with shimmer spray (you can't see this  in the picture). After die cutting, more ink was applied before shaping and layering the flower.
The image came from the internet and was printed onto TAP paper, cut to size and transferred to fabric. A light dusting of distress ink was applied.
The sentiment was computer generated using a font called French Script which I thought was rather apt! The words were printed in brown with a light shadow to achieve a vintage feel. After cutting to size, distress ink was added to complete the look.
Cotton lace was lightly inked then stitched into position before attaching the sentiment.
There are three layers under the frame. The light layer is card which was distressed and inked. The next layer was stamped in plum archival onto card coloured with antique linen with some walnut stain on the edges. The final layer was stamped using coffee archival onto card coloured with antique linen distress ink. To keep to the French theme I used the fleur de lys stamp again.
The edges of all these three layers were stitched before assembly.

Thank you for reading this post and sharing my work with me - if you like it enough to leave a comment, I will most certainly return the favour. Support from others has enabled me to continue to develop my techniques and for that I'm very grateful.


23 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful vintage creation Julia. The image is adorable on the fabric and the frame you've made looks stunning. Sweet sentiment too.
    Thanks so much for making such gorgeous projects for my French themed month and being a lovely guest designer.
    Have a good week.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia what a fantastic card. There are so many layers and so many interesting techniques. I'd love to know more about the TAP paper technique - it looks so delicate. Your colours are beautiful, the stitching just perfect and the embossed frame is wonderful!

    So glad you had a great time as Guest DT this month. I love the French theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is magnificent Julia, and thanks for all the details and explanations I appreciate so much ! Love your image transfer too and your love script policy as well as text !!! Thanks again, as I'm french it should also serve me Lol! Wishes Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another stunning piece Julia. I need to try one of those embossed frames - the colours and the gold make it a real tour de force around that fab image. More attention to detail again. It makes the whole thing so professional. Well done on an amazing MMM stint. You have been so inspiring. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and so much detail as always, the stitching must have taken ages, love all the layers and colour choices x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great vintage creation Juia.
    Love the image from the kids
    The colors are beautiful.
    Love it.
    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous! I love all the embossing, stitching and inking! Truly stunning! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous vintage card Julia, love all the textures and elements

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. just lovey. What size stitch were you using?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely vintage look... your multiple layered frames look so great, delicious flower (inky edges - perfect colours!) - and I'm suffering with stitching-envy again! Beautiful work - a really fabulous finale to your GD run.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stunning work of art, Julia. I love all the layers and the flower is beautiful. And how I wish I could sew as straight as you do - it's perfect. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fabulous creation Julia, I could imagine finding this in a trunk in the attic! Your attention to detail is amazing and I keep looking at all the layers and the frame is stunning.
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been an absolute pleasure to have you this month with us at MMM! :) This is just another example of the stunning artwork you create! HUGS and happy stamping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Julia this is a joyful piece of art! I hope you are intending to slip it into a beautiful frame. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A stunning vintage card Julia, I love the embossed frame, stitching and all the layers - in fact I love everything.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The love of the young ones...how nice Julia...you gave them a great frame!
    And I had to admire your stitches...wowwww what a straight line!
    Lovely vintage...

    Hugs, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is delightful Julia! So much work in it!

    re the bobble trim, I buy it from a local shop that sells wool, fabric etc! Have a look at ribbongirl.co.uk as they have some and I know a few online places have it. I love the stuff xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous Julia. I love the plum colour (must keep my eye out for that one). Beautiful layering and stitching and such a sweet image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is so beautiful! I love your stitching! Fabulous images as well! Just eye candy here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely, just a great vintage and romantic creation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Julia, lucky you having" rellies" in Cyprus. Do you go to visit? I love the country and its people (not to mention its climate).
    What a beautiful card you have made, seems almost a shame to use this as a card, it would be perfect hung on someone's wall. I think you should find somewhere to display it, it is so gorgeous.
    Hugs, Neet xx 23 (thanks for visiting me when I was away)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an absolutely gorgeous vintage card! So many beautiful details and the image is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bit late in commenting - but better late than never - this is a beaiutiful card, love the way you have framed the beautiful image.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax