Friday 27 November 2015

Masterboards

I'm a fan of making masterboards  and I noticed that PaperArtsy are running a two week challenge on this subject so I decided to join in and link up a project. I often have a look at what they're up to because they provide a wealth of inspiration. I really loved what Anneke did with her Gelli Plate prints so thought I'd try something similar!

I am addicted to my Gelli Plate and often run off batches at a time. This results in some which I love and other prints which I don't love but which I can't throw away! I went through my pile of somewhat unloved prints and chose one to work on for my masterboard.

Here's the print I chose which is made with fluid acrylics:

Three colours and a stencil were used for this Gelli Print.

Here's what I made with the final masterboard made from my Gelli Print:


In the following images you will see how I transformed my rather sad looking Gelli Print:
I applied some Guacamole using a plastic card in a very random fashion.

Using the same technique, I applied Lake Wanaka and Spanish Mulberry. Some areas were left uncovered so the print showed through.

Snowflake was a applied through a small stencil using cut n dry foam.

The same three colours were applied using the edge of the plastic card to make vertical and horizontal lines in a random design.

Acrylic Paint pens were used to add little dots here and there to add more depth to the design.

I die cut an ATC, a tag type shape and a tiny tag.

These were the scraps I had left once I'd die cut the shapes and punched a few tiny flowers for embellishments.

The main Lynne Perrella image is stamped in black archival and embossed with clear powder. Little punched flowers are shaped and given a tiny gem centre. The edges are inked.

The number and words in the corner are rub ons which work very well on top of the paints. In the background some blue script has been stamped using an image from Hot Pick 1501.

The numbers are rub ons from Tim Holtz. More acrylic paint pen dots and some black ones made using a journalling pen.

I love how the masterboard design shows through the gaps in the stamped headdress.

A little black gem had been add to the point where two lines intersect in the circle. I usually colour these for her cheeks and had to resist the urge to add another colour!

Tiny tag which could be used as part of a future project. Rub on letters are used for the word.

Crackle glaze has been applied to the backgroud and some Walnut Stain ink has been used to highlight some of the crackle. The edge of the tag is sponged with Little Black Dress paint.

An unusual tag shape is die cut and stamped with this image from Stage Lights Plate 3. The technique used for the stamping is the same as the ATC.

The stars are stencilled using Little Black Dress. The dots are journalled on afterwards.

The numbers are rub ons. The edge of the tag is sponged with Little Black Dress.

The figure is grounded by adding some shadow with an Inktense pencil (dry).

Again, I love how the background can be seen through gaps on the stamped image.

More rub ons are used for the numbers. Extra details are added using the journalling pen and the acrylic paint pens.

Thank you for wading through this post! I thoroughly enjoyed sitting playing just for me rather than for DT posts for a change! I need to try to do more of this but the time just disappears doesn't it? If you haven't seen the post at PaperArtsy, just click here - it really is worth a look!

12 comments:

  1. Wow Julia - love what you did with your master board/gelli plate piece. What a transformation and such a great use of those fabulous PA colours. Lovely to see you play! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab masterboard, the gelli plates are great aren't they, you never know what you're going to get and most can be salvaged after a second look xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you transformed your gelli print Julia, and your projects are fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly know how to work a masterboard Julia. These are fabulous! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. really love the contrast of the black images on the wonderful bright backgrounds xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Gorgeous Julia! I am usually not a huge gelli fan but the way you have used yours is just so inspiring! Love the tiny added embellies as well-so clever you are!
    Thank you so much for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This black stamping is fabulous over your awesome backgrounds! Coolness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, simply fabulous Julia!!! :)
    I've not yet any paint marker.. they look great to add little details! On my wishlist now thanks to you :-)
    Hugs
    Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME!!! Gorgeous background, and love the stamping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely blimmin marvellous Julia! Gelli plate printing often needs rescuing whenever I take prints! And wow have you done a number on those. backgrounds! Totally love the colours and the paint pen additions are awesome! Plus how cool is the clear embossing on those stamped images! #boom you nailed it! ~Leandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very bold and bright! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax